Wednesday, August 20, 1997

empty mind

are you packed and ready to go
no one knows we are leaving all behind
the wall no one can
tell me the story told backwards spin
sideways highways but no right ways
to be followed right into another thought
I saw it once before
we depart
of me does not want to es—
cape on my back does make me a super hero
could not save me now
we must be going regardless
unless one puts up a fight
at the door
comes crashing down with the moon hitting  
the ocean I cannot see where all of this began
as a cat scratched at another door
down the hall and cannot make sense
of the lies thrown on the table
where I left it on hold
all calls until we return
into something I am
not the same person I was a year ago
I was alone
unprepared to view the lighter day
the sides hide as I crawl from my spot open
and loneliness enters with the abbreviated orchestra
playing for the unknown sons and daughters
who came and went screaming
into the streets where it is too fast
to walk a mile in their shoes do not fit
these worn out old feet connected all the dots
never could understand what the picture was supposed
to be a person or animal of some kind
sniffs at the door in the rain of a cool august night
that won’t end the need for a journey to the beginning          
of another day
before the decision is made    
up like my bed before I lay me down
to sleep in the car with my foot on the accelerator
whips me into oblivion
laughing at the gash in both wrists
forgetting my bags at the stairs
jumping with a rope necklace attached
to the broken ceiling fan we never used         
enough gasoline set ablaze to my face
becomes red light telling me to stop
now would be something I could not know
I will not climb down the side of the building
bridges only to burn them so quickly
quietly returning to mind
a thought that scared me…  

No comments: