Wednesday, October 1, 1997

worn out song

air so cold
the nights are too long
someone is singing
a worn out song
about some sadness
heard it before
we all get sad
some less some more
more or less happy
with what I see
someone is coming
who could it be
at this hour
nothing more than that
the reason a cover up
under the hat
or a hood
hiding the face
tattooed reflection
cannot erase
what’s written in pen
what’s said or done
when that bell rings
no one has won
small is the prize
what did you expect
showing no interest
or even respect
snapping quickly
a twig under foot
lesson learned
up with it I won’t put
questions asked
time and again
someone really wonders
where I have been
it’s a dark place
look close and see the light
it will help you see through
the darkness of tonight
no one might speak
to the others around
some corner
where I can be found
so much in such
a short span of time
bomb exploding
stepped on a mine
it’s not yours
or his or hers
someone far off
finally stirs
the mixture is finished
whatever it was
something great has gone
bad just because
things have changed
doesn’t mean much
more of the same
railing becomes a crutch
support me as I
lean back and think
about that deep hole
the one I used to sink
down from the bottom
up from above
seeing the bird
but it isn’t a dove
still there is a dog
barking at the moon
gone for awhile
will return soon…

No comments: