Sunday, May 3, 1998

all that i have

Sunday morning after
tube filled with smoke 
descending upon me
as rain from the darkest of clouds
can’t see the sky blue
and so I sit while they walk 
for the hungry guilt hits me
like a bat to the back as I eat breakfast
wishing I could give them some 
of what I have it isn’t much
it’s much more and I feel so guilty
and only two sticks starting the fire today
not the greatest nights sleep
found myself lonely and tired
cold and alone on Sunday
sitting breathing and smiling
for I will not take for granted
my eyes and what I am able to do with ease
some will go about day to day
without ever thinking about those who cannot see
hear or do what we do with extreme ease
even superman confined to a wheelchair life
and how would that feel
ever wonder as I do
pen would fall from my hand
would lie motionless by my side
what courage to go on and not despair
true to his name imagine being lazy for a day
just sitting watching the television
and not doing anything else
are you comfortable?
—now imagine not having any choice
you can do nothing else
and even a simple task such as getting dressed
can take you hours
trapped in your head with nowhere to go
would you have the courage to blink
into tomorrow what if you couldn’t
look to the beautiful sunset sky
think about this everyday
an appreciation for all that I have…

No comments: