Tuesday, May 13, 1997

sleep well

many gather nightly routine
and it may not appeal to you but
it passes the time
has come for some to
leaves are sprouting in the trees
late this year should be a good one
time I thought I knew something
isn't right now and then
I sit under the clear black
sky above telling
stories that put me to
sleep well

many are here but do they hear
we all sit and wait for nothing
makes sense anymore
or less the same
old story told a million times
over the vast mountains
that scream out my name
is unimportant and sounds
rather funny
how things change
so much that one
does not know what
one has started with two
and then three and for many hours
I try to jump to
sleep well

neither do I
know what is written
I am not blind but
I am deaf to the annoying
sounds like they are at it again
we a shoot out at the OK
I am quite all right
thanks for asking but
I do not know anymore then
the next helpless victim
on the stage ready for the nightly battle
the beast within all of us
need to just take a step back and see
where we are struggling
to understand the complex nature
of what we call being
so tired and ready-
sleep well

and before the sunsets and
the moon rises
from the dead
of the day
is bright sun shining
it's tired light
the darkness of the narrow
road that points me in the right direction
so all I have to do is keep on walking
from spot to spot
and I will not become too tired
to hear what it is
you have to say
that has got to end
the madness of the morning
and I realize I must
sleep well. . .

No comments: