Friday, May 23, 1997

my pen never forgets

never seen this man before he was here
he’s been many places
remind him of memories
he lost an arm in the war
has become one he fights with his mind
has taken quite a beating
a sound that may travel further
than I could ever walk
to the end of the street
may or may not
lead me to the other side
of the thought
I may have had the answer
my own question
and talk about thirty years ago
I did not exist
in this form
taking another
when this one is done
I will find another time
one where I will not look in the mirror
another stopping pointing
the sky is cloud blanket
a hole where the sun
has worn through the days
and night time runs in
tomorrow is only hours away
from here and there
and then everywhere
nowhere am I going
what will I see
when I get there
it is all over again
I wonder about the man who
when I look straight
avoids my harmless eyes
seeing his gut hang out of his shirt
torn it is almost disgusting
I can see past the madman appearance
five years it is only the second time
they have let you out of the cage
they put you in there
thirty years ago your mind was more
they built walls around your mind
days pass and cartons of cigarettes stained
fingers and twelve dollars may have gone far
thirty years ago
what will it get this poor soul
that just needs someone to talk to
not frightened by the wandering eye
and as he talks to me
he doesn’t realize
though I may never see him again
I will never forget my pen never forgets…

No comments: