Friday, February 19, 1999

lonely soldiers

the lonely soldiers
brigade has assembled
by the side of route
one two three
here we are together
once again
the youngest member
got my card to prove it
can’t imagine what the
outsider might think
a little bit strange
and in some cases beyond
help and or consideration
one woman here is named
Bunny and I never heard her speak
she keeps the same crooked grin
only changing expression
when she sips her coffee
or takes a drag from her butt
Winchester can’t get comfortable
in the wooden chair
can’t stop talking loud
eating plain crackers
and smoking filtered cigars
and passing gas so loud
laughing and excusing himself
at the same time
his right hand is always shaking
Joe is philosopher of the group
staring at each person as he speaks
out loud to himself
loves the beauty of nearly every
woman and he is never wrong
in his thought somehow directly
connected to jesus christ
he says and gambles every
dollar he has
I just observe the lot
dwelling in my own solitude
and suffering as well
no better no worse
and just as pensive
more in touch with the world
around us because I work
the meeting place is a stop
along my journey through the day
not my final destination everyday
all the lonely soldiers might
someday end up here
answers might never arrive
but all are willing to stop by
just in case they do…

No comments: