Saturday, February 20, 1999

bombshell eyes

the train ride
was extra long
and the man
told us we made
a good couple
“she’s my sister”
I said
“what a bombshell!”
he said
and I saw her blush
but I knew
he was a complete stranger
and it made her
a bit uncomfortable
he was asking for money to buy
lunch and he smelled strong
of cigarettes and booze
wondering quietly if the lunch
was to go along with his
leather jacket and new nike
sneakers maybe they were
gifts who am I to judge
digging into my pocket
I handed him all
of my change and a dollar
it wasn’t much
but I didn’t feel bad
knowing my sister
seemed relieved that he was gone
then his eyes returned
from across the car
as ruby lights flashing and I hit the breaks
soul coughing as sister is asleep
almost home she looks like me
some say and I see it mainly
in our eyes we didn’t do much talking
observing together and
it’s as if we can read each other’s thoughts
keep a picture of her in my wallet
watch as she grows but the eyes
always the same and freaky
when I see the same eyes
catching mine in the glass…

No comments: