Tuesday, May 25, 2010

ode to the steps


pushing buttons just to see
how much I can take
the heaviest weight
keep piling it on top
you can't crush me
no matter how loud you get
no matter what you say
you won't break me
don't know how I fit into this life
even when I think I do I don't
but I do know I will outlast
both of them
and smile on the other side of right now
smile right now but no one
around to see how much better
since then when truly alone
in the basement every night
and my own bed every night
sharing space is so much better but
day time sometimes impedes
closeness can't worry just be patient
and I will come out on top sure of it
no matter what type of bond
they think they have and will never have with me
facing all the challenges steps of progression
through unlearning what I thought I knew
but don't and won't break like trees
in the breeze bending with ease
praying on knees for relief of pressure put on
standing tall no matter what comes next
the steps won't trip me up
firmly knowing I am where I need to be
understood and respected not
tolerated and disrespected whenever possible
two cents put in and won't buy my ear
for any amount of time wasted walked all over
and realizing even the rug has a purpose
at times wondering how it got under the steps...

No comments: