Tuesday, June 17, 1997

read the headlines

handful of something nice
shirt holding pants together
or apart
of me says nothing
at this time
I will not lose the race
to the top off my coffee
is not hot enough
of this
way to the river
is you and me as well
is deeper than an eye can see
what is going on and off
like a strobe light dancing
a left or right turn
into a vacant lot
of them here now I can explain
the situation is not a thing to be
or not to be special today—
yeah give me that and I won’t argue
until 2:15 am time to sleep
your tired eyes before
E=mc squared the circles
I can’t draw a straight line
up in order of importance
what is it and why does the sound
a voice or thought of a face makes
us physically ill
so I won’t work today
will be yesterday tomorrow
does that make sense enough
to know I will not stand up
straight and be proud
to be nothing
can explain itself
without sounding the alarm
wake me after the smoke clears
tables like bus boys chasing girls
down the hall
way has to end sooner or later
and then where will you go
to the end of an addicts recovery
discovery of a place
I have never seen so many frowning faces
in the same directions
lead me but I do not follow
the leader will not carry
his or her own weight
one more hour
time has come here
what I have read the headlines

speak for themselves. . .

No comments: