Saturday, April 23, 2005

plan an early sleep

even when I try to plan
and early sleep
(so I might wake feeling rested)
end up on the porch all hours

even when I tell myself to use
the keyboard
(might speed up the process)
end up on the porch
pen and new page

even when the dog snores
louder than I do
wonder if the smoke
keeps him low to the ground
asleep on the floor

next time I try to plan
an early sleep maybe I
will take my own advice
so I won't have to wake
with the need for 30mg a day

even when I try
to steady the hand
and uncross the eyes
staring into the bowl
half full most of the time
planning a restful night

even when I try
to squeeze out one more page
on a night when the skies are hazy
but the full moon breaks through
anyway as if it knew
which buttons to push a test
of patience and tolerance
just trying to hit forty
and find some time to plan
some restful sleep...

No comments: